David Church interview | Lieutenant Page | Star Wars

David Church
Judder Page (Return of the Jedi)
Interview: June 2010

How did you start in the movie business?

Just finished school and was working in a pub and every lunchtime a person who I later got to know as Jimmy Scott would turn up then he would go missing for a couple of months. It turned out that Jimmy was Richard Attenborough’s Stand-In who introduced me to the Film Artistes Association.

Can you tell how you got cast as Lieutenant Page for Star Wars: Return of the Jedi?

Just lucky, right time, right place.

Can you tell something about the shooting of the Rebel briefing scene?

Very long and repetitive.

Did any strange, weird or funny things happen on the set?

Not that I remember.

Did you get to interact with the main cast (Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher) that was present in the briefing scene? How were they?

I did chat with Harrison Ford but more with Mark Hamill.

Originally your character didn’t have a name. Years later the name Lieutenant Page was introduced. This character appears in games, comics and a card game. How and when did you find out you got a Star Wars name?

At my first signing (collectormania) for Convention-Guests.com

What is the best memory you have regarding Star Wars?

Sitting out in the sun at Elstree in our costumes waiting to be called on set.

What are you currently doing? Are you still in the movie business?

I finished last year after standing in for Warren Clarke for about 13 years on a series called Dalziel and Pascoe.

Please finish the following sentence: “When I look back at my work on Star Wars, I…”

Remember the sun, the fun and the money!