Stephanie English interview | Rebel Technician | Star Wars

Stephanie English
Rebel technician (The Empire Strikes Back)
Interview: April 2010

How did you get started in the movie business?

I started out modeling, and then made the transition into commercials, and then films.

How did you get cast as Rebel technician in The Empire Strikes Back?

My agent put me forward for the part in The Empire Strikes Back and as they say the rest is history !

Where you a fan when you were cast? I bet you had seen the first Star Wars movie.

I wasn’t really a fan when I was cast, as that point I hadn’t seen the first Star Wars movie.

You had some scenes with Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, the stars of the movie. What impression did they make on you back then?

My impressions of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, was that they were both very professional.

What do you recall of the shooting of your scenes? I know it’s over 30 years ago, but anything you remember I’d like to hear.

The only thing I remember about the shooting of my scenes was that the weight of the earphones. They were very heavy! I don’t remember anything else from my scenes it was 30 years ago!

I am always interested in what the Star Wars cast regard as their favorite Star Wars moment that happened on the set. Can you share yours?

My favorite Star Wars moment was when the TaunTaun moved it was so amazingly life like.

Over the years you have attended various conventions where you had the chance to meet the fans. What do you think of these events and how is it to meet all those fans who want you to sign photos, posters etcetera?

I absolutely love doing the conventions, and meeting the fantastic fans.

Are you still in touch with some of your Star Wars co-stars?

Yes I am in touch with most of my co-stars from Star Wars, and still work with some of them from time to time.

With who do you still have contact?

The colleagues I see sometimes are Alan Flyng, Pam Rose, Derek Lyons, Mark Kirby and Marolyn Turk. The ones I see and work with are Paul Bannon, Anthony Gilding I did The Bill with them recently and Peter Roy and I worked on a McDonalds commercial.

Besides Star Wars you have been in Dragonslayer, James Bond: Octopussy and The World is not Enough, The Dark Knight….just to name a few. What do you regard as the highlight of your career?

I think The Empire Strikes Back has been the highlight of my career as it has opened so many doors for me, and through it I have met some wonderful people.

What are you up to right now? Do you have new projects coming up?

Right now I am semi-retired as I am looking after my elderly mother, but I still do some television work.

Final question: Please finish the following sentence:
When I look back at my work on Star Wars…

I wish had known that it would become such a worldwide phenomenon, so I could have paid more attention to what was going on.