Nalini Krishan interview | Barriss Offee | Star Wars

Nalini Krishan
Barriss Offee (Attack of the Clones)
Interview: 2006

Can you tell us how you got the job for Barriss Offee?

My agent called me and said I had the part!

Who approached you and why did they specifically wanted you?

I think they looked at a number of different acting agencies, at the time I was with a modeling agency. They looked at the options within that agency and must have thought I looked the part. No auditions no casting!

When was your first encounter with the Star Wars phenomena and what were your initial thoughts about Star Wars then?

I remember the original trilogy when I was a child and I was very excited and into the whole three series. I was always in awe of Darth Vader.

Your Jedi teacher in the movies is Luminara; played by Mary Oyaya.
Did the two of you hung out a lot together on the set too?

Yes we did, in fact we ironically lived in the same suburb but didn’t know each other until we started filming the movie.

How long did it take to get all the make-up on and get ready for your scenes?

About five to six hours, it was a long but fascinating process!

Also; how many days where you on the set?

About to five, six days in total, but consecutively.

When you were cast for Star Wars; what did they exactly tell you about the movie? Did you get the whole script for instance?

It was very vague, I didn’t really know what I was doing or who I was until the book the Approaching Storm came out, only then did I know who I was and what I was doing and that even didn’t come out until I finished filming.

How did your friends and family react to the fact that you were cast for Star Wars?

I think everyone was pretty excited about it and I couldn’t believe I got the part!

Star Wars had some big actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman and Ian McDiarmid. What impression did they make on you?

Samuel Jackson was very down to earth and he really was the only one I made any real contact with on set. He was highly entertaining and personable.

What is your opinion regarding George Lucas? How was he on the set for instance?

He was lovely, down to earth and just wonderful. It was like speaking to another person, not a multi million director.

Did they give you any memorabilia after the movie was finished? Your own lightsaber maybe?

Unfortunately I didn’t get to take any of it!

What are your thoughts on the two Star Wars movies you were in? Do you think they are of the same level as the old movies?

I think you have to understand that these movies were made in a different era in the 80s, the target audience for the trilogy had grown up and weren’t maybe into the next three as were the teens of today’ society. Different people reacted differently, I think everyone watched it because it was Star Wars and it had played a part in so many peoples childhood and it was one of those movies that would be remembered forever!!
I think the first three were by far more superior but having said that I have spoken to the younger generation and they are saying that the last three are better, I think it depends who identifies with the movies and everyone has had a different experience, there is no such thing as one was better than the other, it was Star Wars!

Regarding the shooting of the movie: did any weird or funny things happen on the set?

I lost my cap a couple of times during shooting, which was embarrassing, I had a lot of fun but I wouldn’t say anything weird.

In the USA you have attended some conventions, like Celebration; the biggest Star Wars event ever. How was it to meet so many fans?

I was gobsmacked, I took it in my stride, but I really had no idea that I had so many fans, but I was very flattered!

You have attended two events in the Netherlands now. What impression do you have of the Dutch fans?

They are lovely, the Dutch are just such pleasant and wonderful people, I hope I get invited to another one again soon!

At conventions you sign a lot. What is the strangest item you have ever signed?

I haven’t had any unusual signings, just met unusual people that’s all!

Regarding meeting fans: the nicest thing a fan has ever done for you would be?

Gifts, compliments you name it! It’s wonderful but when people tell me that I have had a direct influence on their lives in a positive way that’s probably the nicest thing I have seen.

You have done editorial work for magazines like Cosmopolitan as well as modeling.
The modeling world is totally different than the world of Science Fiction….or are there similarities according to you?

Everything is surreal, it’s fascinating, but other than that there really aren’t any similarities between the two.

What are you currently doing regarding new projects?

I am about to shoot a short film and I am in talks with a production company about a feature film.

Is there anything you want to say to the readers?

Yes thanks for listening to me and I really hope to see you some time soon!!
Thank you!!